One 29 oz. can or two 15 oz. cans pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz.)
1 cup golden brown sugar (light is fine to use, as well)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1 tsp. salt
1 package yellow cake mix (18.25 oz.)
2 cups chopped pecans (can omit if allergic)
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted (1 cup)
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup heavy cream
Melt butter, stir in brown sugar and cream. Cook over low heat until blended. Serve warm.
|Mixing the ingredients :)|
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make filling, in a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, milk, eggs, spices and salt.
- Grease a 9" pie dish. Line with 14 inch piece of waxed paper or foil, for easy removal. (Live and learn....) Pour filling into paper.
- Sprinkle top with cake mix and then with nuts, if using. Drizzle melted butter over.
- Bake on the middle rack in a 325 degree oven for 55 to 60 minutes, until the top is deeply browned and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely
- Refrigerate for at least four hours, or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator several hours before serving.